Last week, I sewed. A lot.
As most you probably know, it was Elsie Marley’s Kids Clothes Week Challenge.
I started off with simple plans, but I have four kids and felt I needed to keep things somewhat fair. Before long, I had a list of two items for each kid. I only got six of the eight projects done. So much for fair. But still! Six items from start to finish in one week? Pretty stinkin’ proud of myself!
Anyway, six items, four kids. I’m going to split this KCWC report into two posts, if it’s all right with you all.
First, the baby.
She needs a few long-sleeved play rompers for the cooler weather. I didn’t have a pattern, so drafted my own. It definitely needs some tweaking. But for a trial run, what I came up with isn’t too bad. There’s a simple placket opening at the neck with a contrast-thread coverstitch detail, slightly puffed sleeves, snap-crotch, and then I attempted to a do some ombre dying. I had some pink Dylon from a long-forgotten project, so that’s what I went with. The fabric is a cotton/poly knit from JoAnn.
I hand stamped little tags for all the items I made last week. I just used cotton twill tape, stamps I had already, and a fabric-friendly ink. Super simple, maybe cheesy, but I absolutely love the detail.
Ivy crawled off and tried to eat some broken glass just after I put her down for the photographs, quickly ending her turn in front of the camera. So, instead of action shots, here’s a pre-dyed romper to show the contrast stitching and fancy-schmancy crotch snaps.
And here is my nine-year old
I let my boys go through Ottobre Design 6/2010 and decide what all they wanted from the patterns available. My oldest chose the Mickey and the Donald, a long-john styled shirt and a sleeveless hoodie.
The top was made from the same cotton/poly knit from JoAnn as his sister’s romper. The green rib knit is also from JoAnn. For the coverstitch look at the shoulders, I serged the saddle sleeve seams with wrong sides together, keeping the stitching to the outside of the shirt. Then I pressed and sewed the seam allowance down with a straight stitch along the stitch line from the serger. I totally L.O.V.E. how the shoulder seaming turned out. So very, very much. The placket seems too wide to me. I think the ribbing stretched as I sewed. But as long as the top two buttons are undone, it doesn’t seem to be as noticeable.
For whatever reason, he decided he really needed me to stitch a fish skeleton on his shirt. He even helped me find some images online that I used to draw out said skeleton in tailors chalk before embroidering. I don’t really get it, but I do like the added detail.
And so then I stitched another, smaller dead fish at the chest. You know, to even things out.
I loved the look of the variegated serging along the sleeves, so finished the hem with a serged edge before adding my little hand stamped star tag.
Unfortunately, I totally forgot to add seam allowances when I was tracing the patterns and cutting the pieces for his items. Thankfully, he’s crazy skinny, so everything fits fine though the chest and middle. But the sleeves of the top are too short. And the hood of the hoodie doesn’t go up over his head without pulling the entire body of the jacket up along with it. Very frustrating.
In spite of all of that, he loves it all. So much so that he was super excited and eager for the photo shoot. He’s normally my very hardest child to photograph, so it was awesome to get so many great pictures of him.
The hoodie is made from sweatshirt fleece from JoAnn and is fully lined with a jersey knit from Girl Charlee. The lining proved really confusing at parts for me. I never did figure out how, exactly, they wanted me to sew the lining at the sleeves, so I winged it, and it shows. But only on the inside, which I conveniently didn’t photograph at all.
My sewing machine has a "honeycomb” and “coverstitch” option, so those are what I used for the details on the knits. I got a little bar-tack happy with things, but I really love how the pockets of the hoodie turned out. I used contrasting thread and, if I may say so, I kind of rocked it.
I did change the pattern just a tiny bit from Ottobre Design’s. Instead of a button closure, I added a zipper to the button plackets. It was my son’s idea and I really like it better this way. It does separate the pockets a bit more, but I think it gives it a cooler finish. Plus, way easier to put a zipper in than button holes and buttons! Good choice, kid!
So, there you go. Half a week’s work.