At last count, the zipper of this skirt has been ripped out and replaced five times. And the assignment wasn’t even about zippers, it was about linings. But the zipper’s in. It works. And I feel pretty good about the completed assignment, in spite of a rocky start.
Due to the frustrations of my first attempts, I decided I needed to simplify.
So first I completed the main skirt, including the lining, as just a simple straight skirt with front and back darts. I left the top and the hem unfinished, basting along the top to keep the lining in place. (Free-Hanging Skirt Lining lesson here.)
Due to sticking issues where the waistband was sewn on, I lowered the zipper to only go to the bottom of the added band. The waistband itself closes with some shank buttons and elastic loops.
It really was an easy skirt to make. I promise. Just for some reason I kept breaking zippers, sewing them in too high, and other really lame, time-consuming mistakes. So even though I still love the look of this skirt, sometimes simple really is best. And I think skirts with high waists are so flattering. I mean look, even when I’m channeling Igor, it still looks good!
Why a modeling agency hasn’t recruited me long ago, I’ll never understand.