Today’s the day! Week One’s looks at Project:Sewn are live and up for the voting!
This week’s theme was Black and White: “Design a look for yourself based on the current trend of combining black and white.” So. What I made.
Let’s start from the top down.
I started off with this XL black leather trench I’d thrifted a few months ago to use on for son’s letterman jacket (note the missing sleeves.)
I also used a thrifted black sweater. I forgot to get a picture. But it looked exactly like a black knit sweater. Both of these items I used to cut my pattern pieces from. I used McCall’s 4305, a junior’s dress pattern from 1974 as my design starting point.
You can best see this pattern’s influence on the jacket’s back, where the knit butts up to the leather showing the princess seaming I used from the pattern. Also, I should point out that the back yoke of the jacket comes directly from the back yoke of the original coat.
I also used princess seaming in the front, but exaggerated things to make for an asymmetrical, off-centered closure.
The knit makes an appearance as the full sleeves, the waistband, and the back side panels of the jacket. Using the knit was born of necessity, as I didn’t have enough leather to make a full jacket. But I’m so happy things worked out that way. I love how the contrast of the leather against the knit, all in black, plays on hard and soft.
I sewed the zipper down about three-four inches from the edge of the right front panel, at an angle so the zipper is closer to the edge at the top, and works it’s way over at the bottom. The resulting “extra” fabric made a… fly? I don’t really know what you’d call it, but it’s like a wind guard or something. I don’t know. But it looks cool, and that’s all that matters, right?!
You can also see the original coat’s button holes inside the zipper fly-thing. I was going to cut them off, but I ended up liking that reminder of where the jacket started. The collar is a high-mandarin style with metal snaps to keep things closed up tight when I’m cruising down the road…on my bicycle with toddler trailer attached. Hardcore.
The jacket’s body is lined with a funky polyester I picked up a few years ago. I love how the orange floral print “girlies” up the jacket.
I needed something to complete the look. After making a leather jacket and jeans, I wanted that something to be straightforward and simple, and, preferably, super comfortable. I’ve had this great jersey knit with bird print from Girl Charlee for months. I self-drafted the tee, using other tops I own as a general guide. The sleeves are a dolman style finished with a thick band. I carried the banded look down to the hem, too. The neckline is draped in the front, with a facing so that it can fall forward and still look completely finished. I used some solid black knit to make a bias tape finish for the back of the neckline, and love how that turned out. Really, I couldn’t be happier with this top. I need to make, like, a dozen more for the summer.
Finally, the Jeans.
I used a white stretch denim from JoAnn, and Jalie 2908 for the pattern. This is my second time making jeans from the Jalie pattern (first pair here). I had much more success this second time, partly, I’m sure from my fabric choice. I used a pair of RTW skinny jeans to help me narrow the legs of the pattern down, and shorten the rise. I also cropped the pants off above the ankle. I love these jeans. A lot. The Jalie pattern rocks and is such a great starting off point. I did need to make a couple fit adjustments to the waist area, but nothing too major. I just brought the back yoke in an inch on both sides, tapering it towards the top. It got rid of the gap at the finished waist and keeps the waistband from slipping down. I also made a couple of adjustments to the pockets. I did my little cursive “S” design on the back pockets, and this time got the placement perfect. Seriously, so happy about that. I added a coin pocket to the front pockets. I need somewhere to stash my Chapstick, especially since the front pockets are fakies. I totally made real front pockets. But when I tried the pants on, you could see the pocket lines through the white fabric. It looked crazy tacky. After consulting a friend who has a few pairs of RTW white jeans, I chopped the pocket bags off, sewed those pockets up over the topstitching, and now I have fauxets.
Now go vote for your favorite look at Project: Sewn!
A few Thank Yous:
Christie for the awesome photography and the rockin’ heels
Camilla for doing my hair and makeup, and loaning me her jewelry
Char for the best look title (that I was too pansy to use):
“I'd Kick Your Ass in This Jacket, But I Don't Want to Get Dirt on These Pants.”