Whew! Got this one finished just in time for this week’s Project Run and Play. The theme this week is Stripes and Polka Dots. My hope for participating in this season of PRaP is to incorporate items for my children I’d like to add to their wardrobes anyway, as much as possible. My oldest has been in need of new church clothes for a few months now. I would have made most of this outfit even without the challenge’s motivation, but I don’t think it would have turned out nearly as awesome without this week’s theme guiding my fabric choices.
For my ten year old son I made a button down shirt with chest pockets, shoulder yokes, cuff plackets and pocket flaps. It’s hard to tell in the action shots, but the shirting has a subtle stripe to it. You can see better pictures of the striped weave below in my detail pictures.
The trousers are made with some of my favorite fabric ever. I came across it by chance, and I couldn’t be happier with it. The lighter stripe is a herringbone weave, and the darker cut as a corduroy. It has a great winter-weight, but not too heavy. And I love the unexpected look of tonal stripes with the modern look of the button-down’s details. The tie is a charmuse with brown and blue dots on white. I cut the bottom for a squared ending, hoping to carry on the feel of the rest of the outfit with the less conservative straight-bottom tie.
Dress clothing for boys can get pretty boring. I think this combination adds just the right amount of interest and funk, without being too unorthodox. And seriously, my kid kind of rocks the whole look.
Both the pants and the shirt are made using Ottobre Design patterns. I’m going to be a broken record and again praise the fit and details of these patterns. I did have to take the pants in for my son. But nothing too crazy. I had cut a 146cm for his height, but he only needed the 134 size for his waist. Easy enough to fix when tracing the pattern out to begin with. I realize they won’t last as long with a growing kid, but I can’t get over how awesome the more tailored, fit clothing looks on my kids. We never get this kind of fit from ready to wear!
Here I made the mistake of admitting I was trying to get a shot of his bum.
Ten year olds.
Okay, so let’s discuss details.
If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you’ve seen the shirt. There was great debate over the buttons. I ended up going with grey buttons, over traditional white, more because of the theme of this week’s PRaP than anything else, in the end. The grey on the white pulls out the subtle stripe in the weave a bit
And the buttons themselves look a little like dots on the stark shirt.
Kinda, sorta, maybe?
The pattern is from Ottobre Designs 6/2011, the Cool and Grey Shirt. The yoke, pocket flap and cuff details are what drew me to this shirt. The offset angles add a more modern vibe to a traditional button down.
I have been really trying to slow down and take my time to sew things properly lately. I’ve decided that if I’m going to be taking the time and spending the money to make things, I want them to be as good as I can get them. This shirt isn’t perfect. But I am really happy with the end result. I even took the time to finish all the inside seams completely. Not a raw edge to be seen inside or out. Check out the inside of the shoulders/collar:
The tie, honestly, was more of an afterthought, and I feel like it shows. I was hoping the buttons and the pocket linings of the pants would be enough “dots” for the theme. But they seemed a bit of a stretch. So I threw together a square-bottom tie out of some fun polka-dot charmuse from Fabric.com. I hate working with charmuse, I’ve decided. But it’s dots, and the fabric is fun. Just don’t, whatever you do, flip the thing over or look at it too closely. Please.
The pants are also from a pattern in Ottobre 6/2011, the Glen Check Pants, and the reason I even bought that issue in the first place. They have a zipper-fly, side-seam pockets that I lined with some polka dotted fabric (also seen on my Week One look)
A back welt pocket that I screwed up on, so you get to see the fun polka-dotted lining. Let’s pretend it was on purpose, since I kind of like the way it looks poking out there.
I added a button and hole to finish the look a bit more than the plain welt the pattern calls for. And I matched my stripes something awesome.
I also screwed up on the waistband some how. Okay, really I know how, I folded things funky when I was completing the seam on the inside. I figured my son’s belt will hide the bunching and twisting and I had no desire to pick out the entire thing. So much for putting more effort into things, I guess. Also, that one belt loop, I totally sewed it on upside down. Good thing I finished the edges so nicely on [what should have been] the underside!
The rest of the belt loops are put in correctly. Promise. Oh! And I added an extra belt loop at the center back. I like the look of two in the center, and it helps with skinny kids to avoid pulling from cinched belts.
There are also back darts, and pleats that run the length of both legs down the center fronts.
The shirt and the pants were both supposed to be his Christmas clothes. But the original fabric for the pants ended up oversold, so my order cancelled. When I saw the theme for Week Two of Project Run and Play was stripes and polka dots, I decided to look for a striped bottom weight for the pants. I found this herringbone/corduroy stripe at Fabric.com and it’s amazing. Like, really, really. I am so happy my other fabric never showed.
I’m really not sure what he’s doing here, but I kind of like it.