It’s Boy Week at Project Run and Play. Wahoo! If there is one gender of child I’m comfortable sewing for, it’s the male variety. I feel so much more in my element sewing Boy than I do Girl. My muse for this week is Jonas, four year old, and lover of all things football and tigers and wrestling and bodily functions. I decided to just focus on the first two of his passions for this week, and made Jonas a football jersey-inspired top, some cargo pants, and a letterman jacket.
First, the top.
For Jonas’ third birthday I made him a football uniform. (see it in all it’s glory HERE). He’s long outgrown it, but has still been stuffing his body into the top and bottoms as often as he can get away with it. I finally had to put them in storage, and he’s been declaring the injustice of his lack of football clothing ever since. So I scaled my jersey pattern up and made him a larger version. The jersey is made from a navy athletic mesh, with grey rib knit piping and neckline. I wanted to break up the seams a bit, since there was so much blue going on between the jacket and the jersey; and piping is totally masculine, right?!
Rather than going with a particular NFL team, we decided to make up his own football team. The mascot of tigers was a given with him, and we found an image online HERE that I was able to paint onto the shirt using freezer paper. I didn’t want his name across the back, so I handwrote “Tigers”. I wish I had used a font, but too late for that now. I also drew the number “17” for his jersey number. His birthday is on the 17th, so we went with it. I lengthened the arms too much when scaling the pattern. I should probably go back and shorten them, but I probably won’t. He likes it and that’s good enough for me.
The pants started out very different from what I ended up with. I began with the Relaxed Pant pattern from the most recent Ottobre 1/2013 (surprise! Ottobre!). I wanted to use a really light-weight twill and line the pants in fleece, but otherwise follow the pattern with it’s simple front pockets and welt pockets in the back. I don’t know what I was smoking, but I came out of the fabric store with a heavy-weight twill and didn’t think anything of it until it had been washed, ironed, and cut out. At that point, I realized that the pants were going to look too much like dress-trousers for my liking. I tossed the pattern pieces aside for the night and was *this* close to not even bothering with pants for Boy Week. Then the next day, while doing laundry, I noticed some really fun reinforced seams on a pair of casual pants belonging to my husband. The pants were a similar weight twill, but with cargo pockets and tabs and all kinds of details that made the pants interesting. I grabbed the tossed-aside pant pieces and started cutting the legs, and some new pockets.
So, the cargo pants have all kinds of double, and even some triple-, topstitching
Cargo pockets on the bum
And more cargo pockets at the side seams, all with twill-tape tabs and reinforced closures. There are also reinforced seams at the knees. I didn’t end up lining the pants, though I made the lining. The fabric was just so thick already and, well, I didn’t feel like adding the lining after all was sewn together.
And now the jacket. I don’t know what got me thinking about letterman jackets. I guess just the thought progression of football jerseys and whatnot. Funny thing, though, the day I bought the fabric to make the jacket, my 1/2013 Ottobre magazine arrived. I flipped it open to see a letterman-like jacket featured! Providence! Only, I didn’t use that pattern at all. I actually used the Maahinen Jacket from 6/2009 for my base pattern. I had to scale up quite a bit, and change the arms and the neckline and placket and hem. But things started out with the Maahinen.
The sleeves and welt pockets are this super soft leather I pilfered from a thrifted leather jacket. So crazy soft, and they smell good, too! I used some black athletic mesh to line the pockets, and poly-resin snaps for closures.
The shell of the body is wool from JoAnn, as is the felt I used to create the patches. The grey ribbing at the hem, cuffs and neckline is some left over from making leggings for Ivy and a shirt for Seth. Good thing I save scraps!
And then the jacket is lined in cuddle fleece.
Seriously, this jacket is the real deal.
But let’s go back to the patches.
I used the same tiger image from the jersey as a template for the back patch. And did the same thing for the helmet. Though I didn’t get any good final pictures of the final helmet, somehow, dangit! But you can see how I added a 17 and a J to the helmet patch, to make it more personal.
The other patches, the G (last initial), 26 (year he will graduate high school-yipes!), and football, I drew myself. I sewed all the patch applique in metallic silver thread, so they have a cool sheen in real life. Then they were attached to the jacket pieces, prior to sewing all together, with a blanket stitch on my machine.
I was so excited when I finished the jacket, that I seriously kept taking it from room to room with me throughout the next two days, just so I could keep looking at it.
And that’s my look for my All American Boy!
linked to a few of these parties.