I made Ivy a pair of overalls.
I used McCall’s 4496, a vintage pattern I’d picked up at the local thrift store a couple of years ago, brought home, and then shoved in my pattern box to be forgotten. I came across it last week, looking for something else, and noticed the 6 month sizing. If was going to make it for one of my kids, it had to be now.
The fabric is this super soft corduroy in an amazing turquois. Unfortunately, I only had a small remnant, not nearly enough fabric for the pattern. But every time I’d lay the corduroy aside and pull out something bigger, it just felt wrong. So I ended up bringing the bottom and legs of the pants in quite a bit. But three cheers for wacky 70’s baby pattern proportions! The few inches I took the pattern in resulted in a fantastic fit. Go figure.
The facings are Dolce by Tanya Whelan for Free Spirit.
I made piping from that same fabric and added along the entire top of the overalls.
I skipped the knee patches entirely, and didn’t bother at all with the bib included in the pattern. I did, however, use a last scrap of the corduroy to make a little heart-shaped patch pocket for the back, lined with the Dolce.
The pattern is a super simple sew, especially if you skip the snap-crotch, which I did. I had to. I didn’t have *any* fabric in the legs to spare. I barely eked out enough in my cutting to allow for a measly 1/4inch seam allowance. And I totally messed up and put the buttons/button holes on the wrong sides. So the back comes up over the top. But the cute little vintage pink buttons are fun, so at least there’s that. And also, with my mistake, you get to see more of the piping. Silver lining, folks.
She’s kind of hard to read sometimes.