So my husband and I were invited to a costume party last night. The key word: “costume”. My husband doesn’t dress up. He did once, but we were newly married and I still had powers over him that I no longer seem to wield. But then we thought of this
(if you have never seen Arrested Development, I’m really not sure where to begin explaining) and he was suddenly all in on the costume-thing.
I modified the Muscle Suit idea for this. Because we needed less exaggerated muscles, I went with regular quilt batting. I just cut a double layer about the size of the whole muscle group instead of individual muscles.
Once the second layer of fabric was laid down on top and pinned in place, I would lightly trace the stitch lines of the muscles
After all the muscles were sewn on/in, I just made the pants into leggings and the shirt as fitting as we could without being too uncomfortable.
Then I mixed some paints to get to the same color as the fabric used (fabric just normal stock at JoAnns. In fact, I used the exact same stuff on He-Man two years ago)
We discovered that the paint dried quite a bit darker than it went on. When I tried to make the paint darker to begin with, it was way too dark on the fabric. But the same color wet was perfect dried.
It actually went together really easily. I started on Wednesday afternoon and by yesterday
(taken on an iPod, sorry about the graininess)
(in fact, I’m hoping some of the other party-goers, or my neighbor who ran out with her camera and cell phone when my husband walked outside, got better pictures because all of mine are pretty crappy)
The nevernude cutoffs are, well, just cutoffs. I wanted to go shorter on them, but my husband was afraid of effectively hiding his thunder. I went as Maeby Funke in my homemade Banana Stand apron (you really should just go watch the show…).